Key facts from the 2016 Census found that there were more than 116,000 Australians experiencing homelessness on Census night, and that 7 percent of those who were homeless were sleeping rough on the streets. They are the visible homeless, but did you know that the vast majority of homelessness is hidden with people in crisis accommodation, refuges, lodging houses, couch surfing or in overcrowded or improvised dwellings?
During Homelessness Week, we were involved in a number of events and initiatives to highlight the issue of homelessness. Here are a few:
1. You might have seen us in the media doing radio interviews, posting on social media and sharing stories on the lived experience of clients.
2. We hosted a Round Table Lunch focused on the latest research into women’s homelessness, with Social Ventures Australia, Equity Trustees, the WA Alliance to End Homelessness, and Shelter WA.
3. We hosted a Sleep Out in East Perth with our corporate partner, BHP, with 13 people sleeping rough and hearing six real stories of dealing with and overcoming homelessness from women and men.
4. We gave educational and insightful presentations to our supporters focused on mental health and homelessness, and on our highly successful BHP Reconnecting Lives Program, which is preventing homelessness for many.
5. Matt Vapor from Beneath the Surface spoke to our staff on his lived experience and how their work supports people to deal with the long lasting effects of homelessness.
6. Sustainable Salons were on site to give free haircuts to our clients.
Take a look at our facebook page and other social media channels for updates, along with additional videos, statistics and client stories, and help us share the real issues around homelessness with the community.